Chances are you may have heard of turmeric from one place or another, but you may still be unaware of what it can be used for. Originating in India about 2500 years ago, this powerful plant was initially used as a dye and later cultured as a spice. Although it can be used as a spice, studies have revealed new uses for the ancient herb in modern day medicine. These studies have shown that it may help fight infections as well as help with treating digestive problems in addition to several other conditions.
Here are seven findings where turmeric can possibly alleviate certain health-related conditions:
1. Indigestion- May reduce symptoms of bloating and gas. Stimulates the gall bladder to produce bile, extremely improving digestion.
2. Ulcerative Colitis- A type of inflammatory bowel disease that affects the lining of the rectum and large intestine, it reduces inflammation in symptoms related to this disease.
3. Osteoarthritis- Helps reduce pain and disability caused by inflammation
4. Heart Disease- Helps prevent the buildup of plaque that can block arteries and eventually lead to a heart attack or stroke. Since it stops plates platelets from clumping together, it may also prevent blood clots from building up along the walls of arteries.
5. Cancer- May help prevent or treat several types of cancers including prostate, breast, skin, and colon cancer. Because it's a strong antioxidant, it protects cells from damage that gives it a preventive effect.
6. Bacterial and Viral Infections-Animal studies suggest that it may kill certain bacteria and viruses but it is unsure whether this would work in people.
7. Uveitis- It may help treat uveitis which is an inflammation of the eye's iris.
As you can see, turmeric is not only a spice that can be used in cooking, but has its own place in modern day medicine. While studies are still being conducted to see just how effective this herb can be, it's a great step in medicine. With this information in mind, there may be numerous herbs and natural ingredients out there that can help us fight various diseases. In addition, combining certain herbs and spices with one another may yield even greater benefits when it comes to reversing the effects of aging in our body. Fortunately, there is already a solution out there that can help our bodies in the fight against aging. Turmeric, while powerful, is part of a much larger picture when it comes to potentially fighting diseases and reversing aging.